Varied Confusion: Black College Football Experience

Posted by DiZ, the Chocolate G.O.A.T. Thursday, July 16, 2009


I have no prior bias to any game I play, but I can't help but force myself to keep from that bias when it comes to Nerjyzed Entertainment's past and future debut Black College Football Experience, the first game from their company and the first game to ever feature nothing but HBCUs. As the title goes this is a football game. It combines, at least now it does, football and Rock Band, in that the game before and after half time is pure football and the half time is... a rhythm based mini game compatible with the Rock Band drum peripheral, a nod to the tradition of HBCU bands doing performances at half time. I've seen gameplay footage from both the game released in 2007 and the one to be released on Tuesday and my first impression is a big resounding, "It's aight..."

Let's get this out the way early: I have low expectations for many, maybe even all at this point, football games. When Electronic Arts took the license for themselves I said that it was time to witness the slow descent of football games, and in my opinion I've been dead right. I've seen a decline in quality in the Madden games and I've seen no real change in the NCAA Football games. That 2K games football title featuring all legends and false characters was okay, but it wasn't ESPN NFL 2K5. Midway's Blitz series is always good for a laugh, but its gameplay isn't stern enough and it doesn't come out every year like the EA monsters do. That's good if only because it means they don't recreate the same game each year, but that's just a gripe of mine. Anyway, I saw the gameplay for Black College Football Experience from 2007 and I said, "It's aight..." It looks functional and has a bit of a "Mr. Magoo" visual feel to it (the main attraction looks well enough but the secondary details themselves are lacking, especially the crowd) but that's no reason to down a game. After all, 2K5 did the same... well, Madden did that and... nope, on second thought they didn't.
A big selling point appears to be Doug Williams and the half time mini game. Personally I have no idea who Doug Williams is, but I'm assuming he's a professional (current or retired) that went to an HBCU. I respect that. I suspect the target audience will too. The mini game is an interesting feature too, something I haven't been able to even convince a permanent fault with outside of multiple controls for a single exhibition game, but that's just a pet peeve. Basically it's like the movie Drumline, without the bad acting of Nick Cannon, Leonard Roberts, Orlando Jones, Jason Weaver... you see where I'm going with this. You hit the drum kit in tune with the thing on the screen. What's my big deal with it? The Rock Band drum instrument goes in the color order: red, yellow, blue, green. The game goes: blue, green, yellow, red. Seems like a purely aesthetic thing, right? Maybe not. It's a simple change I'm sure, but I'll let time determine how all that works out. It'll kind of suck doing that kind of mini game on a standard controller.

[Quick sidebar: if I seem a little pissed off right now it's because my Xbox has been out of commission for more than a month now and it has me pretty upset, especially with what I've seen of Mass Effect 2. I'll be touching on that game in a little while myself. Whatever...]

I haven't yet touched on why this post is called "Varied Confusion". When I first heard about this game I said, "Let's hear the racist comments." Of course, those are what I saw. I guess I can kind of anticipate how some people are thinking, but I don't know exactly how to feel about the game in and of itself. On one hand I'm happy that there's a tribute to the black college football experience. Being a student of now two HBCUs and a predominantly black high school I can say that going to a football game is indeed an experience. Then again, having no other kind of college football experience to compare it to I can't say how necessary a game like this is.

Necessity is something I've been on lately. My latest foray into it was with a rapper named Edo G. He did a song in the 90s with Da Bulldogs called "Be a Father to Your Child" and I couldn't help but acknowledge how necessary this song is. The conflict comes with the fact that this song shouldn't have to be necessary. That's why I'm confused with this game. Yes, this game is a tribute to a culture a lot of people will never experience, but that's part of the discrepancy to me: aren't games a method of reaching people of all kinds? Maybe not, but the goal of this game is to appeal to the HBCU crowd. How many HBCU students are going to buy a game they can pretty much watch every week in the fall semester? How many football players for schools like Morehouse or Hampton are inclined to buy a game that showcases them in a generic light (generic meaning no specific mention to specific players outside of Doug Williams, not a crack at the game I have yet to play) and why? If I played football at Morehouse when I was there I would have bought this game only for the purpose of a grudge with another school (probably Tuskegee).

To this same token, however, if I'm following this logic, then the necessity of any kind of college football game is unnecessary. I don't like college football games because A)they all owned by EA and B)EA clones Madden and makes a killing. It's a shameful reason I admit but the third reason was that my college, which was Morehouse, wasn't on them before. Now Morehouse is on an HBCU football game (a moot point since now I'm at Clark Atlanta University) and I can't express total joy because I'm struck with hundreds of questions. I can't put down everything now but I'll be sure to when I give the game a play through. Catch ya later.

[P.S. -- I found out who Doug Williams is. To date he's the only African American quarterback to win a Super Bowl. That's significant and all I guess, but shit... okay, he is kind of a big deal. Super Bowl MVP and he broke a few records. I tip my hat to you, Doug Williams.]

0 comments

Post a Comment