Andre 3000, Meet Bioware: The Art of Storytellin' Part 5/2

Posted by DiZ, the Chocolate G.O.A.T. Thursday, July 16, 2009



Well, I'm back again. Two posts in one day maybe, it's a burst of energy. Just a few minutes ago I posted my confusion about Black College Football Experience and now I'm moving on to new territory. The man on the left is Andre 3000 and the game to the right is Mass Effect. Both of them are candidates for the greatest of all time in their respective areas. Andre 3-Stacks has always been an eclectic lyricist from Atlanta sporting flawless rhymes and sporadic but brilliant verses on his own. Mass Effect is Bioware's flagship franchise game, away from the confines of Star Wars and George Lucas, but maintaining a space worthy theme. You know what would be sweet? If they added Sun Crushers into Mass Effect. It would be a total bloodbath full of oblivion, but it would be amazing nonetheless.

I bring those two up because I have to give them both credit where credit it due: masterful storytelling. This isn't about Andre 3000 so I won't put the spot light on him, but his storytelling is nearly unparalleled in hip hop, rivaled only by a few and even a few of them are slipping (*cough* Jay-Z *cough*), but Mass Effect, being an RPG, has mastered this art to another extent.

Quick show of hands: who has played the first Mass Effect? My right hand is up right now. Now it's down. There weren't many games the year it came out that I ordered to be delivered to me. Only the best are reserved for that... the best and those I can't afford to go out and get in person. I heard it was of Bioware, those behind Knights of the Old Republic, and played it. I had a heart attack. I'm one of the advocates of "Gaming is Art" so you give me a sexy sci-fi story with memorable characters and truly game affecting decisions and what do you have? One of the greatest stories in gaming.

My character was Sheppard, as all are. I can't remember his first name (it doesn't help that my Xbox is broken and I can't check) but he was a pure soldier. He wasn't tied down with the specifics of electronics and biotic warfare. He was a strategist and a weapon master, using pistols and shotguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles to the fullest, as well as grenades. Before the game he was a punk on the streets of Earth (Detroit I'm assuming) running with gangs until the military caught up with him and straightened him out. He did some stuff and gained a sparkling reputation, being chosen for a mission to a new colony planet. He didn't mess up but he was blamed for it. Then he was chosen for a new mission to save the galaxy with his crew, and even sparked up a romance with one of his crew mates, culminating with sexual intercourse following bouts of attraction and depression brought about by the death of a fellow friend. They saved the galaxy but left to do stuff, and by stuff I mean more saving. That's a terrible synopsis but it's the truth. The story make even sound a bit standard, but I left out a number of details, outside references and clever dialogue, not to mention the thresher maws. Oh, those thresher maws... glad they don't exist, that's all I can say.

What separates this story, however, is the sequel game, aptly titled Mass Effect 2. What's the story behind that one? So far I have no idea. I know that there's a new planet and that there are a few new features but I don't know the story. I saw the ship from the first game getting destroyed but I don't know the story. There is a skeleton tale in the game I'm sure, a basic outline, but outside of that you determine the story. You know how I mentioned Andre 3000 early on? He's a master storyteller. All of his guest verses are stories, be they greatly detailed or somewhat soupy. Example: take his verse from International Player's Anthem. It went...

So, I typed a text to a girl I used to see
Sayin that I chose this cutie pie with whom I wanna be
And I apologize if this message gets you down
Then I CC'd every girl that I'd see see round town and
I hate to see y'all frown but I'd rather see her smiling
Wetness all around me, true, but I'm no island
Peninsula maybe, makes no sense I know, crazy
Give up all this pussy cat that's in my lap no lookin back
Spaceships dont come equipped with rear view mirrors
They dip as quick as they can
The atmosphere is now ripped
I'm so like a Pip, I'm glad its night
So the light from the sun would not burn me on my bum
When I shoot the moon high, jump the broom
Like a preemie out the womb
My partner yellin "Too soon! Don't do it! Reconsider!
Read some litera - ture on the subject
You sure? Fuck it
You know we got your back like chiroprac - tic
If that bitch do you dirty
we'll wipe her ass out as in detergent
Now hurry hurry, go on to the altar
I know you ain't a pimp but pimp remember what I taught ya
Keep your heart 3 stacks, keep your heart
Aye, keep your heart 3 stacks, keep your heart
Man, these girls is smart, 3 stacks, these girls is smart
Play your part
Play your part

That's a story in itself. It gave the entire song a storyline. Mass Effect 2 looks to do the same. Andre's verse laid down a skeleton and let the listener go from there. Bioware laid a skeleton with the first game and now you have to make your own destiny in the new installment. This is a big deal for me because Sheppard can die for good, and Mass Effect is a trilogy.

What? Lose your main character in the game he or she is the main character or? DiZ, you orgasmic chocolate chip, perish the thought! No, I will not. There's a chance he can die. Every choice you make has a consequence and a reward. Do I know anything about these choices? No, but I'm guessing that pushing a man out of a window and thirty stories onto pure concrete isn't a nice thing to do in any respect at all.

The purpose of this post was to give props to the masterful storytelling of Bioware, creators of such games as KOTOR and Jade Empire. Keep up the good work and I'll be sure to be getting Mass Effect 2 when it comes out, word. Peace.

0 comments

Post a Comment