The DiZ Reviews: Up

Posted by DiZ, the Chocolate G.O.A.T. Monday, June 15, 2009


Well, what can we say about the film company known as Pixar? We can say they have a lock on the 3D CGI film market. We can say they have something of a formula for good movies down. We can say that since Shrek came out they've been on a roll, gathering no moss and not slowing down. In fact, with Toy Story 3 around the corner, it could be said that they're ahead of many film companies. As a matter of fact, I'll say that this movie I'm reviewing today is arguably my favorite CGI movie ever. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, will take away the whimsical joy I get when I watch Spirited Away, but that's for another review.

Yes, Pixar can say they have a lot, but after this movie they can also say that have Edward Asner. If you don't know Edward Asner he's a legendary actor and voice actor. For the more modern crowd you may remember him as the voice for The Boondocks rich man Ed Wuncler, Sr. He's the stocky bald guy that befriends Robert Free-Man, funds Robert's death dealing restaurant, and turns Tom's daughter into a slave. For the older folk you may remember him as Lou Grant, of the Mary Tyler Moore Show and the spin off featuring his character's name. Me, I remember him best as Cosgrove from the short lived Freakazoid! And now this movie...

Up is a movie about an old man that wants to be an adventurer. It was his dream from being a kid, and luckily this dream was shared by a young girl he would soon encounter. They'd share similar dreams and get married, how nice. To say anymore would ruin the movie a bit. So on to the main plot. The old man flies to South America with his house, suspended by thousands of balloons, and accidentally has a stowaway. They reach their destination, almost hit the mark but miss it by a few miles, and start the journey. He comes the bird, then the talking dog, and finally the main antagonist. See, movies are hard to review because you can't go into the plot while reviewing it, but that's a bit crucial to the whole thing, don't you think? Hmm? To summerize the feel of the story is... impossible. You're taken back, WAY back, to when you were a little kid and wanted to explore everything. You wanted to fly and dig to the center of the earth and back and go back so you could reach China. The whole spirit of the movie keeps you there, with this theme of adventure. You're never too old to go on an adventure.

CGI has gotten to be pretty popular nowadays, and Up uses that CGI to a brilliant measure. The cartoonish humans combined with the gorgeous backdrops is a beuatiful thing. I particularly like the dogs. They combined the sounds and the visual imagery the best. Before I get into the sound I want to go into my favorite character: Dug. He's a golden retriever with, like all dogs in the film, a collar that translates his thoughts into words. He is priceless, that is all. Every line of his is pure gold and I even shed a tear at one line. He said: "I hid under the porch because I love you." That was... *sniff* excuse me, I need a moment...

I want the soundtrack to this film. I can't for the life of me remember too many of the songs playing throughout but that's a gift and a curse. A curse because you can't remember what was playing, but a gift because it blended in so well with the overall story that it was a perfect fit. You have the cheesy orchestral inspirational pieces mind you, but in this movie they aren't just good; they're necessary, and they occur at the perfect times.

Let me go back to Ed Asner for a bit. His voice is perfect for the old man. I know he seems like he's mean and ornery in the previews and commercials, but he's actually just lonely. That's part of the story once again, I won't spoil it, but everything plays a role in his development from a lonely old man to an adventurous, kind old man. And he succeeds. What does that mean? Watch and find out.

Putting a score on a movie like this is kind of weird for me. I had a feeling going into the theater (yeah, I paid 8 bucks to watch this movie; passed up a blowjob and some booty for it too) that I was going to love this movie and I did, but there was no bias before hand, just a desire. If I had any criticisms it would be the brevity of the movie and the fact that Pixar is pushing a few boundaries now with life and death, which isn't a surprise move so much as that Disney was attached to it this time. Otherwise this film is the best thing I've seen this year, animated or life action. There's only one thing to give this gem:

DiZ Rating; 5 out of 5

0 comments

Post a Comment